Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Canaan Home

I was so glad that I found this place which was introduced by Teacher Lisa (soon to be Joel's piano teacher)... A long time ago, when I wanted to purchase Christian books and CDs, I will normally go to Salvation Book Store. Salvation Book Store has since closed down in Melaka. Recently, Glad Sounds has opened in Dataran Pahlawan. But it is in a very jammed up area. Also, it is about 20 minutes drive away (without jam). So, when I was introduced to this place, I decided to check it out. It is just located in the next taman (or housing estate), which I need to pass by every day to access the main road. And it is so convenient for me... as it is only 2 minutes drive away!

This place is called Canaan Home.... run by Uncle Nelson, a converted Christian...


He runs it from his home... He has a room with an outside access door where he sells all Christian books, CDs, gifts etc etc... LOVELY!!!

Uncle Nelson was very friendly and he recommended books that he thinks is suitable. He also shared with me the story on his conversion. It seems that he was not a believer although his wife is a Christian. He does not go to church. But one strange day, when he was at work, suddenly he felt the urge to leave early and go home to accompany his wife to church. And since then he has not looked back.... It took him more than 10 years to believe... and according to Uncle Nelson, his wife prayed for him every single day... Uncle Nelson's message to me here is to Keep on Praying... Prayers are powerful. God does not promise that things will happen immediately but it will... if we keep on praying and have faith...

Anyway, I was actually looking for some kid's Bible story books. And although the selection is limited, it is enough for me. And in the end I chose this book for Joel...


I like this book as it is an interactive book meant for an adult to share with a child. It contains little bubbles of words to engage the child interactively. For example, during the creation of earth, there is a little bubble which asks the child to close his eyes and hold his breath... Shhhhhh.... too mimic the nothingness that was there before God made earth.... The English is very simple and at age 5 he can read most of the words in the book himself already (or maybe Joel is now a good reader??). I have been reading and sharing this book with Joel for the past few days and so far he enjoys it. I hope that he will come to learn to love God and live out the good values that God teach us.

I have also bought a prayer book for kids... I have no problem teaching Joel English, Bahasa, Mandarin, Mathematics or guide him in his homework... but to teach him to pray is a totally new thing for me as it deals with the intangibles... how do you explain God to a 5 year old child and expect him to understand and pray to something that he is not able to comprehend?? I need guidance myself..  and so I purchased this book...


I have not started out on this yet as I hope to engage him through the bible stories first... and take it slow.... but I hope that I am able to teach him in a more meaningful way than I was taught when I was a kid. All I remember is that I was asked to memorise The Lord's Prayer - Our Father, Hail Mary, Glory Be etc etc... without even knowing what it means... until very much later... So pray for me that I am on the right track here with Joel....

For myself, I got myself this book as I find my faith wavering easily.... I took it slow and savour every word... and try to pray as I read this book...
So far, I find it really good for me....  and I hope to be closer to God as I progress....

And lastly, I can't resist buying these!!! One for Joel (he uses it as a bookmark now in his bible story book, one for Isabel (will give to her when she starts reading) and one for myself!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed by Lena